Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Disability is just a word in the dictionary

If you allow it, yes it can become a state of mind, a way of living, a part of you. You can build your own little world and live in it for the rest of your life. But if you do so… what’s the point? Okay, now you’re all wondering as reading this… “who is this person telling me what to do? A doctor? What do they know about living with disability? A psychologist? Ahh, these people always think they know what we’re thinking but they have no idea!”

  • I’m a 25 year old girl living in Eastern Europe – Romania. I’m a Master’s Degree student hoping to become a succesful Auditor as soon as possible.
  • I’m the girl who always had above average results in school.
  • I’m the girl who loves rock music (from metal to classic), reading Stephen King’s horror masterpieces and anything related to psychology, religions of the world, Science-Fiction and Fantasy.
  • I’m the nerd who would much rather install and re-install different Operating Systems, compare them, tweek them and making a mess insider of her computer case trying to figure where each of the components is supposed to go.
  • I’m the girl who would sometimes lose herself playing a computer game for hours (if there’s time, of course).
  • I’m the girl who will never miss a big rock festival or an opportunity to have a drink with her friends and party until the sun is up.
  • I’m the girl who’s always sleepy due to her messed up sleep pattern (oh, school, oh, beer).
  • I’m the redhead who always smiles and laughs and makes everyone laugh with her sometimes really stupid jokes.
  • I’m the girl with the handsome boyfriend who gets envious stares all the time.
Oh… and yeah, I’m the girl with a rare condition called Arthrogryposhis (AMC) and severe scoliosis and needs a wheel walker to move around. But nah, I’d rather be remembered as one of the above.

Nope, I’m not trying to boast, I’m trying to pull disabled people out of their shells and show them that no matter how bad their condition seems to be, there must be something they can do keep themselves busy and give them a sense of normality and social inclusion. Yes, my posts may be extremely informal and bluntly honest at times. I’m not going to write clichees you see everywhere, like “disability is just a state of mind” – which it is, and so on… yes, these things are real, but how is it supposed to help you in real life if you’re not showing it?

In this blog, I will try to give as much insight of my life as I can… with the good and the bad. Some might find helpful advice in my experience, others might think I’m being inappopriate and that I should live a different life style. Each with your opinion, I just hope you all find something to learn. Any questions are welcome. This is just some sort of introduction, so not much details.

0 comments until now.

Post a Comment